The HEC Digital Lab is the transdisciplinary centre of excellence, within HEC Liège, spearheading research & education in digital technologies. It now starts an important project on the digitalization of the industry, sponsored by leading industrial companies. In this context, it is now looking for a PhD student to work for an industry-sponsored PhD research project.
The project will fall within the realm of strategy and industrial economics. Specifically, the project takes an approach to understanding business model configuration and strategic innovation choices made by industrial players that are facing the digital transformation challenge (Industry4.0). In particular, the thesis will focus on the application of the platform model to the
industrial world. The project has direct application in the managerial world, as well as important academic implications.
ABOUT HEC LIEGE
HEC® Liège is the management school of the University of Liège, AACSB and EQUIS accredited.
HEC® Liège is one of the leading Belgian university business schools for graduate and postgraduate programs with more than 115 full-time faculty members and researchers and more than 2500 students.
HEC® Liège is a dynamic institution that heavily promotes an active pedagogy leading students to contribute actively to their own education. The international vision of HEC® Liège translates into multiple research activities in management and economics, numerous partnerships with worldwide companies and universities, and growing internationalization of its programs and faculty.
HEC® Liège is located in Liège, Belgium’s third largest city, and the largest agglomeration of the French-speaking Walloon region. At the heart of Europe, Liège is the third inland port of Europe and the seventh freight airport in Europe. Recognized for its quality of life and its rich historical heritage, Liège is ideally situated within the Meuse-Rhin Euregio, 30 km from Maastricht (the Netherlands) and 60 km from Aachen (Germany). It is less than 1.5 hours away from Cologne, 2.5 hours from Paris and 4 hours from London by high-speed train (TGV) starting from the new magnificent train station designed by the renowned architect Santiago Calatrava.
A thorough description of the management school and its work environment can be found at:
The candidate’s main task will be to prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of economics and/or strategic management. As a full-time PhD Student at HEC Liège, you will be affiliated to the research domain “Economic Analysis and Policy” at HEC Liège as a member of the Liège Competition and Innovation Institute (LCII) research center. There is no teaching load associated to this position.
You will attend a doctoral program in economics and management offered by HEC Liège in collaboration with Belgian partner universities. Regular interaction with the sponsor’s team of practitioners is expected.
You will represent the HEC Digital Lab in the international scientific community through (for instance) the participation in scientific conferences and workshops.
- You have a strong Master’s degree in economics or management (with a focus on industrial economics or strategy, general management or innovation)
- You have prior experience in managing a research project and an interest for starting a PhD thésis
- You have experience in qualitative or quantitative data collection and analysis (e.g. surveys, interviews, and can use software such as SPSS or similar) - You have a keen interest in digital technology –Industry4.0– and business model innovation
- You are ready to collaborate with industrial companies to understand better their business model and their innovation strategies
- You have good communication skills
- You are proficient in English and fluent in French and/or Dutch
- Prior work experience within an industrial company is a plus
The doctoral researcher will be hired for a period of 4 years. The candidate will start on September, 1st, 2019.
- Cover letter showing your motivation and eligibility for the PhD position;
- CV showing your past experience and expertise in the PhD area; - An example of your written academic work;
- A copy of your undergraduate and postgraduate degrees;
- A recommendation letter, to be sent directly by the person recommending you.
Interested candidates should send their application by email to Dr. Nicolas NEYSEN, Digital Transformation Lead (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to Prof. Axel GAUTIER (email@example.com).
Applications should be received before 15th May 2019.
Incomplete applications will be automatically rejected. Further information can be obtained by sending an email to Prof. Axel GAUTIER.