Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
School and Department Description
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) at Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is growing in size and influence in pursuit of its vision to be a leading international business school. The school is based on strong principles of internationalism, innovation, inspiration and integrity, which together ensure that we have a positive impact on society through our teaching, research and business engagement. In that pursuit, IBSS became the youngest business school to be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) in 2016, and again, the youngest School to receive EQUIS accreditation in 2018. Receiving joint accreditation of AMBA and BGA in 2020, IBSS became the world’s 103rd triple accredited business school.
The five departments of IBSS are Accounting, Economics, Finance, Intelligent Operations and Marketing, and Strategic Management and Organizations with over 130 faculty members and more than 5,000 students from over 60 different countries. IBSS delivers a range of undergraduate, postgraduate, MBA, PhD and Executive Education programmes across all major business disciplines.
The Department of SMO, which encompasses the fields of HRM, International Business, Strategy, and Leadership, is set to become an independent academic unit with the beginning of the 2020/21 academic year, as a result of splitting the original Department of Management. At present, the SMO department has a strong team of 28 academic staff and 7 PhD students, publishing in top journals, such as Management International Review, Journal of Business Research, and R&D Management. Members of the department teach a large number of undergraduate students in business administration, international business with a language, and human resource management programmes as well as postgraduate students enrolled in the MSc Management or the IMBA.
Responsibilities and Duties
Applications are invited for Strategy/IB/CSR, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and HRM at IBSS of XJTLU. XJTLU is a research-led university. In this context, even though the workload of faculty in IBSS is generally shared between teaching, research, and service, early-career faculty members are expected to spend the majority of their time on research, followed by teaching, then service. Research activities include the publication of research articles, attendance of international conferences, and applications for research funding. Research performance in the School is benchmarked on internationally recognized lists of journal quality such as the Academic Journal Guide (UK) – a.k.a. the ABS list – and the ABDC list (Australia). The target levels on those lists are ABS3/ABDC-A or above.
The successful candidate will be expected to deliver lectures and tutorials across all years of the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes; to supervise undergraduate, master’s and potentially doctoral dissertations.
Areas of responsibilities: (1) Strategies, International Business and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR); (2) Innovation and Entrepreneurship; and (3) Human Resource Management.
Successful applicants to the position of Assistant/Associate Professor are expected to have:
• A PhD degree in a related field,
• Teaching experience in higher education,
• A proven record of academic publications in good journals, or alternatively, for early-career academics, a strong pipeline of promising research.
Successful applicants to more senior professorial ranks are expected to also show:
• A significant record of high-quality academic publications,
• A number of external research grants awards,
• Experience in PhD supervision.
Successful applicants to the position should preferably possess the following attributes:
• Curriculum design and programme development experience,
• Engagement with professional community,
• Adaptability in working in a collegial environment
• A PhD or equivalent in International Business, Strategy, CSR, Innovation, HRM or related areas and have an independent, internationally-recognised research plan in a relevant active field of research.
• Excellent English communication skills are essential.
• A track record in ABS3/ABDC-A or above refereed publications, or demonstrate potential to do so.
• A strong record in attracting funding for research, or demonstrate potential to attract such funding.
• Enthusiasm for delivering high quality undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
• The attitude and ability to engage in continuous professional development.
• Willingness to take administrative role in the department and school.
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application on our university website. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
• A cover letter
• A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
• Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Professor Xiaobo Xu at Xiaobo.Xu@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP of IBSS Ms. Ye Lan at Ye.Lan@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.