HEC® Liège (University of Liège) invites applications for a full-time academic position in “Business Analytics” starting on September 1, 2023.
HEC Liège is the Management School of the University of Liège (ULiège). The University is an active partner of a network of over 900 universities promoting the exchange of students, researchers, and skills. As one of its faculties, HEC Liège is one of the leading Belgian management schools hosting graduate and postgraduate study programmes. The School counts 110 full-time faculty members and researchers and about 3,500 students, and promotes an empowering pedagogy leading students to play a proactive part in their education.
HEC Liège's commitment to and ongoing investment in quality improvement has been recognized through the international Accreditations AACSB and EQUIS (delivered by EFMD).
HEC Liège offers a dynamic and entrepreneurial research and teaching environment. Each professor conducts his or her research programme independently. Numerous sources of funding (internal and external) exist and give (assistant) professors the opportunity to create their own research team and to supervise doctoral students as soon as they join HEC Liège. Each professor is also responsible for the content and methodology of his or her teaching. The time allocation between the various activities is 40% for research, 40% for teaching, and 20% for community outreach. In the early years of the appointment, the time allocated to community service is limited, which gives the professor the opportunity to further develop his or her research and teaching programme.
HEC Liège emphasizes the human dimension of its work environment, the regional anchoring of its community service missions, the managerial relevance of its teaching and its applied research projects, let alone its fruitful inter-faculty partnerships.
HEC Liège upholds respect, tolerance, congeniality, diversity, and social responsibility. It is committed to the well-being of its members and to environmental protection.
Last but not least, HEC Liège's modern and expanding campus within a city renowned for its friendliness and hospitality makes it a great place to live and work. A description of the HEC Liège work environment can be found at https://www.hec.uliege.be/cms/c_8475866/en/hec-hec-liege-is-hiring .
The successful candidate will be responsible for a teaching load at the undergraduate and graduate levels including full-time and part-time programmes. He/she will be assigned core curriculum courses such as applied statistics and mathematics, quality control/statistical process control, and other more specialized courses based on his/her profile and experience, for instance, data science, business intelligence, or machine learning. He/she will be expected to supervise Master theses and internships.
The candidate will perform state-of-the-art research activities in the strategic research field “Business Analytic & Supply Chain Management”, and with potential applications in and collaborations with other strategic research fields of HEC Research, and will contribute to the expansion of the outreach of HEC Liège in the national and international scientific communities.
The position involves participation in the academic life of the strategic research field "Business Analytic & Supply Chain Management ", the Operations Department, HEC Liège, and ULiège. In particular, the candidate will be expected to contribute to the regional and international development of ULiège, both in terms of relations with universities and with private companies or public bodies. The candidate may be invited to contribute to the development of HEC Liège Executive Education's training programmes.
- You have a PhD or will receive a PhD before the appointment in the following or related fields: applied statistics, applied mathematics, quantitative methods in management (e.g., operations research, analytics), computer science, engineering sciences (e.g., machine learning, data science) with clear applications in economics or management;
- You have a significant international experience;
- You are able to compose and lead a research team in these fields as well as integrate into international research networks;
- You have a passion for teaching and have pedagogical experience;
- You are available for teaching and research missions abroad.
The official administrative language used at HEC Liège is French and the candidate will need to teach courses in English and in French. The candidate should have excellent knowledge of English. If the candidate does not have the required level of French, he/she may be given the opportunity to take French language training courses provided by ULiège to enable the candidate to teach courses in French, to take part in administrative meetings, and to take up internal service duties within the first 2 years of appointment.
According to the tenure track system of ULiège, academic positions are allocated for a fixed term of four years.
The performance of the new faculty member will be assessed at the end of the third appointment year. If the outcome of the assessment is positive, the candidate will be appointed as a tenured professor on a permanent basis. If the outcome of the assessment is negative, the candidate’s contract will be terminated at the end of the four-year term.
In exceptional cases, an academic position may be allocated immediately on a permanent basis.
A positive evaluation in the case of a fixed term appointment is subject to the candidate’s demonstrated performance in teaching and research.
With regard to research, the candidate is expected to
- publish scientific articles in relevant and top-tier refereed economics and management journals, as well as books and book chapters (see HEC Liège Academic Journal Guide);
- develop new research projects and write grant proposals for attracting internal and external research funding;
- supervise doctoral research;
- be involved in international research networks;
- actively take part in the organization of research activities of the corresponding strategic field at HEC Liège, such as research seminars, workshops, and scientific conferences;
- participate in research projects and missions for the account of, and grow partnerships with, private organizations and/or public authorities.
With regard to teaching, the candidate is expected to
- deliver high quality teaching both in large and small groups;
- develop new and active teaching methods;
- make effective and innovative use of digital technologies and tools;
- supervise Master theses and internships;
- contribute to the continuing evolution of the School’s teaching programmes.
The selection process includes several steps:
(1) the recruitment commission will shortlist candidates on basis of their file,
(2) the commission will meet candidates shortlisted and
(3) the commission’s conclusion will be proposed to the different boards for decision.
Our institutional policy is based on diversity and equal opportunity. We select candidates on the basis of their qualities, regardless of their age, gender, sexual orientation, origin, beliefs, disability, or nationality.
- Motivation letter and curriculum vitae showing relevant experience/expertise in research and teaching;
- List of publications and international and national collaborations/projects;
- Letter describing their research interest (5 pages at most);
- Two recommendation letters.
Applications should be made using an on-line form available at https://www.hec.uliege.be/cms/c_8475866/en/hec-hec-liege-is-hiring specifying the job reference number no later than February 1, 2023 (before midnight Belgian time). Late applications may be refused.
For further information, please contact Prof. Thierry Pironet, Head of the Operations Department, HEC Liège (email@example.com).
The salary grids and their rules of application are available from the University’s Human Resource Office: Mrs. Ludivine Depas – tel.: +32 4 366 52 04 – firstname.lastname@example.org.