HEC® Liège (University of Liège) invites applications for a full-time academic position in “Leadership and Personal Development” starting on January 1, 2023.
HEC Liège is the Management School of the University of Liège (ULiège). The University is an active partner of a network of over 900 universities promoting the exchange of students, researchers, and skills. As one of its faculties, HEC Liège is one of the leading Belgian management schools hosting graduate and postgraduate study programmes. The School counts 110 full-time faculty members and researchers and about 3,500 students, and promotes an empowering pedagogy leading students to play a proactive part in their education.
HEC Liège's commitment to and ongoing investment in quality improvement has been recognized through the international Accreditations AACSB and EQUIS (delivered by EFMD).
HEC Liège offers a dynamic and entrepreneurial research and teaching environment. Each professor conducts his or her research programme independently. Numerous sources of funding (internal and external) exist and give (assistant) professors the opportunity to create their own research team and to supervise doctoral students as soon as they join HEC Liège. Each professor is also responsible for the content and methodology of his or her teaching. The time allocation between the various activities is 40% for research, 40% for teaching, and 20% for community outreach. In the early years of the appointment, the time allocated to community service is limited, which gives the professor the opportunity to further develop his or her research and teaching programme.
HEC Liège emphasizes the human dimension of its work environment, the regional anchoring of its community service missions, the managerial relevance of its teaching and its applied research projects, let alone its fruitful inter-faculty partnerships.
HEC Liège upholds respect, tolerance, congeniality, diversity, and social responsibility. It is committed to the well-being of its members and to environmental protection.
Last but not least, HEC Liège's modern and expanding campus within a city renowned for its friendliness and hospitality makes it a great place to live and work.
A description of the HEC Liège work environment can be found at https://www.hec.uliege.be/cms/c_8475866/en/hec-hec-liege-is-hiring
The successful candidate will be responsible for a teaching load (in French and in English) at the undergraduate and graduate levels including full-time and part-time programmes. He/she will be assigned core curriculum courses and specialized courses according to his/her profile and experience, such as: Leadership, Personal Development, Creativity and Stimulation of the Collective Intelligence, Strategic and Operational HRM.
He/she will also be expected to supervise Master theses and internships on the before-mentioned topics and, more generally, on issues related to Human Resource Management.
The candidate will perform state-of-the-art research activities in the strategic research field “Changing Workplace and Strategic HRM”, with potential applications in and collaborations with other strategic research fields of HEC Research, and will contribute to the expansion of the outreach of HEC Liège in the national and international scientific communities.
As such, it will be expected from the future holder of the position that he/she develops high level scientific research projects and regional, federal and international research partnerships on “Leadership and Personal Development” issues (e.g., leadership practices, creativity, collective intelligence, team management, personal development, individual career management, soft skills development, etc.), in line with and complementary to the research projects in Human Resource Management and Change
Management already carried out at the LENTIC (Research Center on New Ways of Working, Innovation Dynamics and Change Processes) research center and, more globally, at HEC Liège. He/she will be expected to raise funds to support the development of these research activities (funds that should notably allow the hiring of researchers and/or PhD students he/she will supervise). He/She will also be expected to publish the results of his/her work in top-ranked peer-reviewed economics and management scientific journals, in French and English, and to contribute to the reputation of HEC Liège internationally.
The position involves participation in the academic life of the strategic research field "Changing Workplace and Strategic HRM", the Management Department, HEC Liège, and ULiège. In particular, the candidate will be expected to contribute to the regional and international development of ULiège, both in terms of relations with universities and with private companies or public bodies. The candidate may be invited to contribute to the development of HEC Liège Executive Education's training programs in the fields of Leadership, Personal Development, and Human Resource Management.
- You have a PhD or will receive a PhD before the appointment in the following or related fields: Management Sciences, Social Sciences, Psychology;
- You are fluent in English and in French;
- You have published scientific articles and/or presented papers at scientific conferences on the topics of the position to be filled;
- You master qualitative and/or quantitative research methods;
- You are able to compose and lead a research team in the fields of “Leadership and Personal Development” as well as integrate into international research networks on these topics;
- You can propose a structured research agenda on these topics that is consistent with and complementary to the research activities currently conducted in the “Changing Workplace and Strategic HRM” research field at HEC Liège;
- You have a passion for teaching and have pedagogical experience;
- You demonstrate an ability to teach courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels as well as to animate Executive Education type trainings;
- You are available for teaching and research missions abroad.
According to the tenure track system of ULiège, academic positions are allocated for a fixed term of four years.
The performance of the new faculty member will be assessed at the end of the third appointment year. If the outcome of the assessment is positive, the candidate will be appointed as a tenured professor on a permanent basis. If the outcome of the assessment is negative, the candidate’s contract will be terminated at the end of the four-year term.
In exceptional cases, an academic position may be allocated immediately on a permanent basis.
A positive evaluation in the case of a fixed term appointment is subject to the candidate’s demonstrated performance in teaching and research.
With regard to research, the candidate is expected to
- publish scientific articles in relevant and top-tier refereed economics and management journals, as well as books and book chapters (see HEC Liège Academic Journal Guide);
- develop new research projects and write grant proposals for attracting internal and external research funding;
- supervise doctoral research;
- be involved in international research networks;
- actively take part in the organization of research activities of the corresponding strategic field at HEC Liège, such as research seminars, workshops, and scientific conferences;
- participate in research projects and missions for the account of, and grow partnerships with, private organizations and/or public authorities.
With regard to teaching, the candidate is expected to
- deliver high quality teaching both in large and small groups;
- develop new and active teaching methods;
- make effective and innovative use of digital technologies and tools;
- supervise Master theses and internships;
- contribute to the continuing evolution of the School’s teaching programmes.
The selection process includes several steps:
(1) the recruitment commission will shortlist candidates on basis of their file,
(2) the commission will meet candidates shortlisted and
(3) the commission’s conclusion will be proposed to the different boards for decision.
Our institutional policy is based on diversity and equal opportunity. We select candidates on the basis of their qualities, regardless of their age, gender, sexual orientation, origin, beliefs, disability, or nationality.
- Motivation letter and curriculum vitae showing relevant experience/expertise in research and teaching;
- List of publications and international and national collaborations/projects;
- Letter describing their research interest (5 pages at most);
- Two recommendation letters (to be sent separately by the referees to the Dean: email@example.com).
To be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 7, 2022 at the latest, with a copy to the Dean (email@example.com).
For further information, please contact Prof. Olivier Lisein, Management Department, HEC Liège (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The salary grids and their rules of application are available from the University’s Human Resource Office: Mrs. L. Depas – tel.: +32 4 366 52 04 – email@example.com.